• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 Aug 2006 - 09:54

Gateway has made it extremely difficult to install the audio drivers for their laptops. You see, if you're not using their restore CD, the drivers they offer, if any, don't install.

You'll spend the time finding the correct audio drivers for your Gateway laptop, only to try to install them, and they won't install. The audio device won't install manually either.

I called them, to ask them, WTF. They gave some lame ass excuse of the drivers being made for their version of the OS only. Yeah, they added code like:

if (laptopOS != gatewayOS)
{
DoNotWork();
}

After some work, I figured out how to get it to work though! By tricking the drivers.

1. Install some random Realtek audio driver on your system device (WDM_A380 or WDM_A388, it doesn’t matter).
2. Reboot.
3. Download your Gateway audio driver. Extract the files, and remember where they were put.
4. Go to the device manager, and find the Realtek AC 97 Audio (There should be two, do with both) under "Sound, video, and game controllers". Right click on it, and select Update Driver.
5. Select "Install from a list of specific location" and click Next.
6. Select "Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install" and click Next.
7. Click Have Disk.
8. Browse to your drivers you extracted, and they'll install.

Reboot, and you should have working audio!

av-1_sig.png
No Kitty Kibble Shortage, Officials Insist; Kitties Sceptical

#2 JoeC

JoeC

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2007 - 19:15

I just had the same issue with a Gateway laptop. I went to their website to download updates, but it failed in installation.
Thanks a lot, i thought i was hopeless.
Hey by the way, not just the audio device don't work, my modem don't works as well. The update from the gateway website also failed in installation for my modem.
Any clue what to do?
Thanks in advance.

#3 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:07

Welcome to the Unique Forums Joe. Well, we can only assume that the gateway modem driver woes are the same. Just install some random modem driver and see what happens...

av-1_sig.png

#4 Badboyrt

Badboyrt

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2008 - 22:07

I am having the same sound card problem with my Gateway Tablet. No speaker icon. Adding drivers does not work at all. Called Gateway. They said send it back because the sound card is dead on the board. I'm not convinced. I tried the Realtek Driver suggestion by Dalponis. No effect. I did not find any Realtek AC97 driver listed in Systems\Sound, video and game controllers.

HELP! Any ideas out there? :help:

#5 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2008 - 22:21

Of course you're not going to find it until you add the driver.

av-1_sig.png

#6 randomthug

randomthug

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2008 - 14:28

I have the mt3705 with the same issue. I tried almost everything I've found online and it still didn't work.

For future people finding this I found a solution within all these posts. First if your going to XP from Vista bookmark these forums hehe secondly the whole process above didnt work for me at first.

I have seen a lot of people talk about how sigmatel says somethign about already running then it doesnt work.

After LOTS of attempts the only solution was to follow the steps above, AFTER updating everything to sp2 and all updates.

Sound works beautiful now.

#7 watonghsi

watonghsi

• Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 Jul 2008 - 16:53

I have the mt3705 with the same issue. I tried almost everything I've found online and it still didn't work.

For future people finding this I found a solution within all these posts. First if your going to XP from Vista bookmark these forums hehe secondly the whole process above didnt work for me at first.

I have seen a lot of people talk about how sigmatel says somethign about already running then it doesnt work.

After LOTS of attempts the only solution was to follow the steps above, AFTER updating everything to sp2 and all updates.

Sound works beautiful now.

after several blue screen of death I decided to have this piece of junk from gateway MT3705 to get a dual bot: now im running on XP.
now i cannot find any audio driver for my sigma tel: unable to play dvd on my dvd rom. im working on it for 2 days still no luck; I've tried gateway driver support but no help at all. everything is working except AUDIO!
any help would be appreciated!

MT3705 gateway with dual bot vista+xp: its says something like this, first while running the installationg driver for sigma tel audio driver "ANOTHER INSTANCE OF THIS SET UP IS ALREADY RUNNING." THEN NEXT THING WAS "THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT SUPPORT THE DRIVER YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL" I followed the instruction above written by dalponis. couple of tries, no sounds still...

can you post the drivers and how did you do it? im about to give up on this audio driver..
thanks in advance..

#8 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 Jul 2008 - 07:36

Hello! Welcome to the Unique Hardware(Le Dungeon). I'd recommend doing what I've done here. Just install some random driver, then try using the XP driver from Gateway.

Okay, at first look, Gateway doesn't offer a XP driver. I'm reading that it also can use an AMD(?) sound card. What's the exact model number of your sound card? Boot into Vista and get the information for us please.

av-1_sig.png

#9 watonghsi

watonghsi

• Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 Jul 2008 - 09:21

Gateway has made it extremely difficult to install the audio drivers for their laptops. You see, if you're not using their restore CD, the drivers they offer, if any, don't install.

You'll spend the time finding the correct audio drivers for your Gateway laptop, only to try to install them, and they won't install. The audio device won't install manually either.

I called them, to ask them, WTF. They gave some lame ass excuse of the drivers being made for their version of the OS only. Yeah, they added code like:

if (laptopOS != gatewayOS)
{
DoNotWork();
}

After some work, I figured out how to get it to work though! By tricking the drivers.

1. Install some random Realtek audio driver on your system device (WDM_A380 or WDM_A388, it doesn’t matter).
2. Reboot.
3. Download your Gateway audio driver. Extract the files, and remember where they were put.
4. Go to the device manager, and find the Realtek AC 97 Audio (There should be two, do with both) under "Sound, video, and game controllers". Right click on it, and select Update Driver.
5. Select "Install from a list of specific location" and click Next.
6. Select "Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install" and click Next.
7. Click Have Disk.
8. Browse to your drivers you extracted, and they'll install.

Reboot, and you should have working audio!

if im not mistaken what i have is sigma tel high definition audio codec: i tried several audio drivers from gateway and still not working!

thanks again!

whenever im installing this WDM_A380 or WDM_A388 this always comes out in the middle of installation "the software you are installing has not passed windows. Logo testing to verify its compatability with windows XP"

what should i do with it?

#10 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 Jul 2008 - 18:09

I had to merge these two topics... You were replying to them in a very strange way that was hard to track. "Don't you hate a moving target?" - Jim Noble DMOZ.

Just continue anyway. It seems like you're going to need a XP driver for said sound card. I cannot find one.

av-1_sig.png

#11 murcs

murcs

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2010 - 21:16

dude. wow. i just spent 3 hours debating on how much of an idiot i am for not being able to to figure this out. I read your post and and fixed it in 2minutes. Couple things u forgot to mention about the ending process and what too click on the few remaining pop ups but i figured it out, very ez. So on that note your the MAN. much apreciated. also for anyone whos reading basicaly whats happening is the multimedia controler doesnt want to install so you gota install a 3rd party device/driver to get it to work. NOW, the driver doesnt work but the multimedia does this is where dalponis is god. so now the computer wants the original driver for your Laptops auido device. which u get from the manufacturers website mine was GATEWAY. so folow dalphonis instructions and you should be fine. haha i dunno if i explained that very clear but yea SUPER STOKED. THANKS.

by the way this is my first laptop.

#12 bruce147

bruce147

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 Nov 2010 - 01:59

I have this exact issue and have followed the directions. However, when I go through the "add hardware wizard" to add the Realtek AC97 driver, I don't know what to do, I don't know where the file is, or which file. In the Realtek folder, there are a bunch of .inf files but I am not sure which one to select. Bruce

#13 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 Jan 2011 - 08:13

I'm sorry, I never suggested you go through an "add hardware wizard". I'm confused to where you're having a problem. Some screenshots would help.

av-1_sig.png

#14 Emerican

Emerican

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 Jan 2011 - 02:47

Hey Dalponis,

I've been having this issue as well, only my circumstances are somewhat different. I'm using a gateway mx7515, which I believe is using some sort of conexant sound card. I've been able to follow your steps up through installing the realtek audio drivers, and now have control over my volume again, but still have no sound. Now here is where my situation differs slightly. I recently installed Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and I'm now having trouble finding drivers that will work with the OS. Whenever I have a file I think is going to work, it tells me that it needs to be compatable with the 64 bit OS. And I have tried to get a 64 bit windows 7 driver, but have had no luck. Can you offer me any advice into this situation?

Thanks,
Emerican

"The best way to add insult to injury, is when you're signing someones cast." ~Mitch Hedburg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users