14 replies to this topic

#1 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 Mar 2006 - 14:24

Written: 2005-03-14

"Everybody compresses files, whether it be to send your documents over e-mail or you just have no space left on your hard disk drive. With all the types of file compression there are, how do you know which one is the best for the task you want to accomplish? Well, that is where this article comes in handy."

Read the full article here:
http://www.uniquehar...pression1.1.php

av-1_sig.png
No Kitty Kibble Shortage, Officials Insist; Kitties Sceptical

#2 ubercanuck

ubercanuck

Unique Forum Dieity

• UH Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 Mar 2006 - 14:03

i compeltely agree, i don't use winrar, winzip anymore i jsut use 7zip. :) but my zipping needs i still love Total Commander :)
Opteron 165 @ 2.4 GHZ
Asus A8N32-SLI
ATI X1900XT
Antec Neo HE 500
2GB OCZ XTC PC3500
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA II x4

#3 SaSa

SaSa

LAN Party AdMaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:GaMeS!<br />JRod sucks cause he doesn't play SC/BW!<br />Currently Owning players on: D2X USEast<br />Skullcrusher WoW Player

Posted 24 Sep 2006 - 17:55

Only reason I ZIP files is to put a bunch of stuff together when I'm sending it. Like if its a bunch of pictures I'll zip it so I don't send them 1 by 1. With today's HDDs and DVDs there is no real need to zip your stuff. Everyone has enough space on their HDDs for zipping to be completly irrelevant to their space.

Thats my stance:

Zipping is only to archive things for sending so that it saves TIME not space.
Posted Image
Sasa

#4 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 Sep 2006 - 22:04

Yeah, because high efficacy isn't important...

Besides that, what about when you're downloading seven gigabytes of .avi files? They'd compress better, so they'd download faster.

7-Zip is also a free compression, unlike RAR.

av-1_sig.png

#5 SaSa

SaSa

LAN Party AdMaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:GaMeS!<br />JRod sucks cause he doesn't play SC/BW!<br />Currently Owning players on: D2X USEast<br />Skullcrusher WoW Player

Posted 03 Oct 2006 - 21:42

Yes but on a 7 GB file 100 MBs More or Less isn't REALLY going to make much of a difference. I mean your going to be downloading it for 20 hours, whats an extra hour?
Posted Image
Sasa

#6 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 03 Oct 2006 - 21:44

Yes but on a 7 GB file 100 MBs More or Less isn't REALLY going to make much of a difference. I mean your going to be downloading it for 20 hours, whats an extra hour?

You're on the way to Florida. It takes a good twenty-four hours to get there, but wait! You find a short-cut. You can skip some stupid interstate, and save one hour if you turn left right here.

Do you turn left? You're in the car for twenty-four hours. What's an extra hour?

Yeah, because high efficacy isn't important...

QFE.

av-1_sig.png

#7 SaSa

SaSa

LAN Party AdMaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 Oct 2006 - 21:47

Lol, Shortcuts are good. But once again, I wouldn' go to great lengths to compress something so damned much, I remember when we used maximum compression on PS 7.0 which was a file of 100 Mbs it took off 10 mbs and it took a good 20 minutes to uncompress, which in the long run look longer than downloading the extra 10 Mbs.
Posted Image
Sasa

#8 ubercanuck

ubercanuck

Unique Forum Dieity

• UH Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 Oct 2006 - 10:54

right but it depends on what your compressing. Take for example compressing a video file that is already encoded into divx or xvid, etc isn't goin to compress that much since it's already in a compressed format, but take say a text file that will compress incredibly well.

My Example.

350MB file compressed down to 345MB using 7zip (346MB in Rar) and it took 4 minutes to compress it. While a 17MB TXT file compressed down to around 3KB using 7zip.

Now for the compression speed. It takes be around 45-50 seconds to decompress the video file and 3-4 seconds for the text file.

IF you want i can try to take some screen shots to prove this but i think my sig speaks for it's self.
Opteron 165 @ 2.4 GHZ
Asus A8N32-SLI
ATI X1900XT
Antec Neo HE 500
2GB OCZ XTC PC3500
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA II x4

#9 SaSa

SaSa

LAN Party AdMaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 Oct 2006 - 22:30

Yeah, you have a pretty sweet rig. Now my question to you is where am I going to get my hands on a 17 MB Text File?! The Largest one I've had is my Functions.php file and its about 1 MB and its like 21093750923457 lines of code...
Posted Image
Sasa

#10 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 Oct 2006 - 22:52

I had a text file that was a few gigs in size. Compressed? 17 Mb.

av-1_sig.png

#11 SaSa

SaSa

LAN Party AdMaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 Oct 2006 - 07:43

Nice, thats Uber space save. You guys might have a Convertee here.
Posted Image
Sasa

#12 TheSpoon

TheSpoon

Member-in-training

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 Jan 2007 - 20:40

http://www.farb-rausch.com/fr08_final.zip

Download that. Watch the entire thing. That is the best file compression. Roughly 1.8 gigs into 64kb. For more example go to: http://www.theproduct.de/

- Spoon

#13 JRod

JRod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2007 - 23:19

Although you guys make great points,

Compressing is only used commonly for emailing attachments to bypass email security controls( .MDB and .EXE files will be blocked by most POP3 and webmail), and reduce size as some people still use DIAL-UP.

with .75 terabye HDD's common now, it is pointless to slow down data transfer on your system... ever.

not even for a few seconds... to save a few meg.

#14 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2010 - 00:37

with .75 terabye HDD's common now, it is pointless to slow down data transfer on your system... ever.

not even for a few seconds... to save a few meg.

What a fucking idiotic comment...

With multiple core 3.65GHz processors common now, it is stupid to not compress things that should be compressed. You know, databases never need to be compressed. And hell, who cares about downloading smaller files.

'Tard.

Sorry for the necro-post. That was something I wanted to say for many years.

av-1_sig.png

#15 stevensblue

stevensblue

• Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 Aug 2010 - 09:26

No need to apologise, was worthy saying a brought a wry chuckle to my face
Anybody have any NHL tips. Pass them this way. Sshhhhhh !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users