• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Paul Freely

Ian Paul Freely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 Nov 2006 - 12:38

Hey, I've got to transfer about 500 GB of data (Friday night), now with my accumulation of hard drives over the years, I'm building a computer with about 10 hard drives of all different sizes.

*plan/idea*
So question is, whats the best way of transfering the data over? I am putting win2k has the OS, then setting up FTP server with each hdd on a quota.

But as the data is being transferred over a 10-100 network, should I put in a couple extra nic cards and setup FTP server per ip address (designated via the nic), to help transfer the data (shortening the overall data transfer time)(or is this stupid as then the speed would be governed by the CPU and hdd speeds).

Anybody have any suggestions?

#2 ubercanuck

ubercanuck

Unique Forum Dieity

• UH Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 Nov 2006 - 12:58

Hey, I've got to transfer about 500 GB of data (Friday night), now with my accumulation of hard drives over the years, I'm building a computer with about 10 hard drives of all different sizes.

*plan/idea*
So question is, whats the best way of transfering the data over? I am putting win2k has the OS, then setting up FTP server with each hdd on a quota.

But as the data is being transferred over a 10-100 network, should I put in a couple extra nic cards and setup FTP server per ip address (designated via the nic), to help transfer the data (shortening the overall data transfer time)(or is this stupid as then the speed would be governed by the CPU and hdd speeds).

Anybody have any suggestions?

If both nics are gigabit then use a cross over cable. if not you could probably just temporarily install the source drive and copy it that would be much faster. But aside from using fiber channel you may just have to let it run :)
Opteron 165 @ 2.4 GHZ
Asus A8N32-SLI
ATI X1900XT
Antec Neo HE 500
2GB OCZ XTC PC3500
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA II x4

#3 Ian Paul Freely

Ian Paul Freely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 Nov 2006 - 13:02

If both nics are gigabit then use a cross over cable. if not you could probably just temporarily install the source drive and copy it that would be much faster. But aside from using fiber channel you may just have to let it run :)

SO just use 1 nic at 10-100 and let it run?
I don't have gigabit and or capabilities of putting the hdd's into the main pc with the data I have to transfer.

#4 Dalponis

Dalponis

Hardware Master

• [UH]Unique Staff
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 Nov 2006 - 15:29

I'd have to recommend a gigabit network too. Get two gigabit network interface cards, and use a cross over cable. I'd recommend Fedora Core 6 on the apposing server to hold all the data, but you can try Windows 2000.

But yes, two computers, a cross-over cable, or a nice switch, and two cables, would be fine.

av-1_sig.png
No Kitty Kibble Shortage, Officials Insist; Kitties Sceptical

#5 SaSa

SaSa

LAN Party AdMaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:GaMeS!<br />JRod sucks cause he doesn't play SC/BW!<br />Currently Owning players on: D2X USEast<br />Skullcrusher WoW Player

Posted 06 Dec 2006 - 23:48

I'd do it the old fashioned way, install an HDD, rip off all its crap, take it out, install the next, rip it and do that successively.
Posted Image
Sasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users